Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Stalled again

Three parts perfectionist and two parts procrastinator enveloped by relentless 35°C heat has recently made for a whole lot of nothing on the painting front.

As most wargamers do, I have a number of projects on the go. My latest, 1/3000 WWII naval, was going reasonably well. Unfortunately, after whacking a bunch of Navwar models with a light gray undercoat on Monday, my plan of wash, paint, highlight has stalled because the wash just doesn't want to look the part. Either it won't take to the semi-gloss surface (my special dip wash), it's too brown (Devlan Mud), or it's too dark (Tamiya Smoke).

It wouldn't be such a problem if I was confident about how I wanted things to look at the end, but I'm not. I'm vaguely intending something gray, with something tan or red brown for the decks, but that's about as far as I've got, so that vagueness combined with the wash falling flat has me stalled.

As you can see from the picture below, the IJN ships in the background (plastic, highly detailed, very dark) don't match at all well with the mix of British, German and Dutch (metal, less detailed, very light) in the foreground.



I sense a lot of tedious trial-and-error drybrushing will be needed on the Japanese, and much trawling the internet for ship photos and trial-and-error painting and repainting is going to be required for the others.

With all the research I'm having to do professionally at the moment, the thought of doing it for fun is, well, not much fun.

It might be time to take a break and go do something else for a bit...

...or maybe I just need to harden up and crack on with it!



10 comments:

  1. Painting ships is tricky Aaron, I'm struggling with my 1/1200 ancient ships as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm seeing, Mike. They're trickier than you'd think... Mental note: must check your blog for galleys!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Don't over think it Aaron, image yourself in a float plane high above the surface looking down on the ships. Get it close, thinking arms reach view type painting. Up close on a 25 (or those 15's wussy boys paint:)) is one thing, don't paint these for up close. You just want to play 3D. Also weather and depending on if they where southern stationed the Sun had huge effects on the paint.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, Kevin. Feel better already! I went back to them with a mid blue wash and that has made quite a difference. Will keep plugging away, from 5,000 feet!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Being out of ones comfit zone as far as modeling is concerned is by endeavoring to explore differing types of things we fall into the process of self education,and hopefully concerns fade fast as one reaches the pathways end,and then there it is all finished with our best possible effort.
    i Love all those Ships. BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely put, BB. You are very right about how going out of the old comfort zone. I hadn't thought if it in that light. That's a most encouraging way to look at the little obstacles that come up, especially when the words are coming from someone who has achieved the modelling mastery of your good self. Thank you!

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  4. Try a Payne's Grey wash which is a mixture of dark grey and blue with some red in it. You can make it from acrylic paint plus Future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'd not heard of it before. After doing a quick google search I can see that it is well worth further investigation. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. I have this same problem. When I'm not sure how I want things to look I vapor lock and can't do anything. The only way I've found to work through it is to just pick the part that is bothering me the most and start working on it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the best way to approach it!

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...